Passumpsic Bank Portable Planetarium
Sail around the night sky, learn about the mythology of constellations, and fly with your group to Mars, Jupiter,Saturn, or the Sun and back all from the comfort of your own institution. Our portable dome has a diameter of 16 feet and can seat up to 25 adults or 30 young children. Fairbanks Museum educators will give a live, engaging look at the sky, with three show offerings:
- What’s Up: A look at the skies as they appear tonight, featuring constellations, planets and the Moon.
- Myths and Legends: The stars and constellations have been imagined by many people across the globe, often referring to their culture, as well as how the sky appears to move and change through the year. This show features classic Greco-Roman myths, with a few other cultures as well.
- Native American Star Stories: This planetarium show focuses on a combination of star stories from the Indian nations, offering an introduction to culture in contrast to other versions of star stories. Beginning with our local Abenaki tribe and including, among others, the Cherokee, Onanadaga, Tewa Pueblo, and Klingit, students experience the breadth and scope of the traditions that inform present day and past native culture.
Register for a visit by our Passumpsic Bank Mobile Planetarium starting for this September here.
If you have questions about booking the Passumpsic Bank Mobile Planetarium, please contact Drew Bush.
We will accept up to 10 reservations each season summer, fall, and winter/spring, so register today!
Site Requirements for a Visit
- Quiet, indoor room.
- Clean, swept floor.
- Minimum floor space: 18 feet by 18 feet.
- Minimum ceiling height: 13.5 feet with no obstructions (light fixtures, etc.).
- 2 grounded 120-volt standard electrical outlets.
- Air conditioning (required May-September).
- Adjustable lighting (when available).
- For multi-day visits, the mobile planetarium must remain in the locked facility.
For all schools, libraries, and other organizations the flat rate for the portable planetarium will be $200.
For organizations located more than 25 miles from the Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium, we will also require the United States government mileage rate of $0.58 per mile to help pay for transportation costs to your site.
2019-2020 Current Mobile Planetarium Sites and Dates
We will accept up to 10 each season summer, fall, and winter/spring
- 8/6/2019 10:00am Fairhaven Public Library
- 8/6/2019 11:00am Fairhaven Public Library
- 8/7/2019 6:00pm Jefferson Public Library
- 8/9/2019 5:30pm Brookfield Public Library
- 8/9/2019 6:30pm Brookfield Public Library
- 8/13/2019 10:00am Baldwin Public Library
- 10/5/2019 4:30pm and 5:30pm Autumn Moon Festival in Windsor, VT
- 7/24/2020 & 7/25/2020 (Multiple Shows) Heritage Festival and Homecoming Days in Barre, VT
This portable planetarium comes to you with support from the Passumpsic Bank Peter F. Crosby Fund, the Vermont Community Foundation, and the US Department of Agriculture-Rural Development.